- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. tequila (optional)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Flaky sea salt for garnish (optional)
- 3 limes, halved then quartered for garnish
- 1 jar Margarita Jelly
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 drops green food coloring
- Pinch coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar; beat on medium-high until fluffy (3 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time; mix for 10 seconds after each addition.
- Add lime zest, juice and tequila; mix.
- Reduce speed to low; incorporate dry ingredients in three parts, adding half the buttermilk between additions.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached (about 25 minutes). Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to a rack; cool completely.
- For icing, whip butter on medium-high using whisk attachment for 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; gradually add powdered sugar, scraping sides of bowl until all is incorporated. Mix on medium for 30 seconds. Add lime juice, food coloring and salt; mix on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Carve out a small section of each cupcake and fill with Margarita Jelly. Frost cupcakes and garnish with flakes of sea salt and a lime wedge.